Under the direction of the Department Manager, The Community Support Worker will be responsible for providing a smooth functioning program by:
- Providing educational, vocational, social and recreational opportunities and training to an individual with developmental disabilities, mental health disorders and challenging behaviours; and
- Encouraging progressive independence through programming, routines, and consistent responses.
The Community Support Worker will have:
- Two years experience in a supervised setting with a Diploma in Social Services, A Community Support Worker Certificate or a Residential Care Aide Certificate; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience in a supported employment or residential resource; and
- All supervised settings to be in services to people with developmental disabilities
Skills & Knowledge
The Community Support Worker will require:
- The ability to work with individuals with developmental disabilities and mental disorders;
- The ability to manage high risk behaviours;
- The ability to manage crisis situations;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- The ability to work independently and/or as part of a team;
- The ability to work with people of diverse ages, cultures and personal situations;
- Computer literacy;
- A valid BC class 5 driver’s license;
- An Emergency First Aid and CPR Certificate;
- A Medication Delivery Training Certificate;
- A Food Safe Certificate;
- CPI training; and
- Diversity training
The Community Support Worker must demonstrate:
- A high degree and awareness of ethical and professional conduct;
- Cultural, social and economic awareness;
- Empathetic listening and support qualities;
- Tact and diplomacy;
- Sensitivity and a non-judgmental attitude;
- Good boundaries and self care practices;
- A willingness to work flexible hours;
- A person-centered practical approach; and
- Good physical health.
Hours of Work
Position 1: 8 am – 4 pm 30.5 hours /week, Every Wed and Thursday and every other Fri/Sat/Sun.
Position 2: 9 am – 7 pm 26 hours/week, every Thursday and Friday and every other Wednesday.
*on the short week the hours are 9 am – 9 pm.
Rate of Pay
As per the Collective Agreement.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to:
Lori Brooks, Human Resources
P.O. Box 713 (10110 - 13th Street)
DAWSON CREEK, BC, V1G 4H7
Fax: (250) 782-4167
- Please include competition #1922 with your resume
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- This position requires union membership
- This position is open to female applicants only