The Supported Child Development Program (SCDP) is a community-based program that assists families of children with extra support needs to be included in a childcare or other community setting that meets family needs.
The program is intended to serve children from birth to 19 who have a developmental delay or disability or are at risk of having a developmental delay in any of the following areas: Communication, Physical, Intellectual, Emotional and Behavioural.
SCDP provides the following services to support children, families, and childcare providers:
- Individual planning to promote each child’s development and participation to their optimal level
- Training and information for families and childcare providers to help each child’s development
- Resources such as books, toys and specialized equipment
- Referrals to other services such as therapists or specialists
- Where necessary, additional staffing to ensure that children may participate fully with their peers
SCDP operates under the principles of inclusion and family centered practice. SCDP uses a multi-disciplinary team approach. Parents may self-refer, or with parental consent, referrals may come from other service providers. The service is voluntary and free of charge.
We provide services in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek and Tumbler Ridge.
The program is funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
Please contact the program consultant for further questions and to determine eligibility